Round Table Racing syndicated thoroughbreds with hall of fame trainer Gai Waterhouse until 2014.
Round Table Racing is focussed on maximising the success and enjoyment of the horse racing experience through the delivery of the best possible service.
Management // Bruce Slade, BComm - Director
Bruce grew his passion for thoroughbred racing in New Zealand into his profession. His love for the sport saw him concentrate all his time on developing a well-rounded knowledge of the industry he saw himself in “for life”.
A Bachelor of Commerce degree and extensive practical stud experience in Australia (Arrowfield) and New Zealand (Rich Hill, White Robe Lodge) led to the 2008 NZTBA Sunline International Management Scholarship. The scholarship took Bruce around the world to learn from the best operators in the thoroughbred business internationally: Cheveley Park Stud (UK), Coolmore (Ireland), and Taylor Made Farm (USA).
On his return, Bruce worked in a dual role as Marketing Assistant and South Island Bloodstock Representative/Auctioneer for world class auction house New Zealand Bloodstock. A chance meeting with Gai Waterhouse at Karaka 2010 led to a role as Bloodstock Director with Australia’s Hall of Fame trainer until June 2013.
With his main objective for Gai Waterhouse being to attract the highest quality racing stock into the stable, Bruce helped her celebrate success in 19 Group 1 races including the Golden Slipper twice (Pierro and Overreach), the Caulfield Cup (Descarado), the Doncaster Handicap (More Joyous), the Metropolitan twice (Herculian Prince and Glencadam Gold), the 2yo Magic Millions quinella (Driefontein and No Looking Back), and the Epsom Handicap (Fat Al).
Through yearling and tried horse sales, in his three-year role with Gai Waterhouse as Bloodstock Director, Bruce was directly involved in securing:
- Pierro - Champion 2yo, Elite 3yo and the ‘best horse’ Gai Waterhouse has ever trained.
- Fiorente – 2013 Group 1 Melbourne Cup winner. Also won the Group 2 Dat Tan Chin Nam Stakes winner and 2nd in the 2012 Group 1 Melbourne Cup
- Glencadam Gold – Group 1 Metropolitan winner, 6th in the 2012 Melbourne Cup
- Tullamore – Group 2 Brisbane winner
- Driefontein and No Looking Back – The quinella in the 2012 $2m MM 2yo Classic
- Sweet Idea – Group 2 Silver Slipper and $1m MM 3yo Guineas winner and second in the $2m MM 2yo Classic and 3rd in the Group 1 Golden Slipper (first horse offered at auction past the post)
- Julienas – 2013 Listed Manion Cup and Listed Sky High Stakes winner
- Hippopus – Listed 2013 St Leger winner
- 2012 Golden Slipper – 4 runners and all stakes winners – Pierro, Driefontein, No Looking Back, and Raceway.
- 2013 Golden Slipper – 3 runners – Sweet Idea, Breeders Plate winner Whittington and Windjammer.
Bruce, with the blessing of Gai Waterhouse, set up his own company Round Table Racing in September of 2013.
The Trainer // Gai Waterhouse
When Gai took over Tulloch Lodge on January 3, 1992, she had the unenviable position of trying to fill the shoes of her father, legendary trainer Tommy (TJ) Smith.
In typical Gai fashion the sleeves were rolled up and the success began to flow almost immediately. Gai saddled her first Group 1 winner in October of her first year as a full fledged trainer - Te Akau Nick in The Metropolitan Handicap. In the same event in 2010, Herculian Prince gave the lady trainer her 100th Group 1 winner, an amazing feat considering no trainer in history had reached the figure in such a short space of time.
Her milestones to date also include:
The accolades have flowed including:
- Over 2000 race wins
- Fastest ever to train a winner, city winner, Group winner, Group One winner – each at first attempt
- Fastest trainer to reach 100 Group One wins
- Seven Sydney trainer’s premierships (only TJ Smith and John Hawkes (under Crown Lodge) have won more)
- Training record of 154 winners in a season - Only her father TJ Smith trained the same number
- Five Group 1 Golden Slipper winners:
- 2001 - Ha Ha when she trained the trifecta in the event – a first in racing
- 2004 - Dance Hero
- 2008 – Sebring
- 2012 – Pierro
- 2013 - Overreach
- Trained four Group 1 Doncaster Handicap winners in a row and seven in total.
- All time record – 11 Group One wins in a season (2004/05 and did it again 2006/07)
- One of five trainers in history to produce more than 100 winners in a Sydney season
- Honoured with the VRC and Thoroughbred Racehorse Owners Association Archer Award for outstanding achievement and contribution to the racing industry
- Presented the Sarah Kennedy Award for Contribution to Racing
- Winner of the Westpac Business Owner Award and named the state’s top businesswoman as the Telstra NSW Businesswoman of the Year 2000.